Monday, January 5, 2015

The Fifty Year Sword; A Review

The Fifty Year SwordThe Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z. Danielewski
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I agree with another review of this book, stating that MZD is an experimental storyteller. He wants to test limits and boundaries.

I loved the stitch work art in this piece, and I found the story to be interesting, but nothing that kept me on the edge of my seat. Maybe I'll have to check out a video of the "live performance" to see what I think.

My criticism for this book is it felt like it tried too hard. It wanted to make leaps and bounds and keep you hooked, but I felt like I was going through the motions, reading it. All the characters but one have extremely odd names, and this didn't add to the book, but instead confused me because apparently this book is supposed to take place in Eastern Texas.

Overall I'd say it's an interesting and quick read, but nothing worth critical acclaim.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment