Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Mapmaker's War; A Review

The Mapmaker's War (Keeper of Tales Trilogy, #1)The Mapmaker's War by Ronlyn Domingue
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While I found the plot of this book to be mesmerizing, I found it hard to get "in" to the narrative and really submerse myself in the story. The characters felt distant and at times dull to me. I felt as if I never really knew any of them. And perhaps this distance was on purpose, but it made it hard for me to feel the strong emotions and sense of peace and understanding that this book spends so much time describing.

I also found the story to at times feel pointless. I understand it was written as if it were an autobiography, but it also didn't quite feel like that; I got the impression that the story within the life was more important than the life which told the story, but this separation was muddled and confusing at times.

I would like to read the sequel, and see if I still have the same feelings - I suppose we'll find out.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment